I admit it is a struggle to get my children to eat healthy (well clean) at times. However, a while ago, even before our clean eating journey, I happened upon a fried broccoli recipe. Let’s be real you don’t really need a recipe for it. I’m still going to bless you with mine. LOL. You may be wondering about the nutritional value this side dish will have. My guess, because I don’t work for the FDA hahaha, is that there is still a great deal of nutrition left in the vegetable. Frying is only to add a thin layer of crunchy coating to the outside. Thus making it more appealing to someone who may not want to eat broccoli.The children in my house really love it!
What You Will Need:
1 head fresh broccoli
1 cup flour
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
fresh Parmesan cheese
Prep Time: 10-15 mins
1. Clean broccoli. Cut stalk out of broccoli.
2. Put two eggs in a bowl. Beat eggs with a fork or a wisp.
3. In a separate bowl (with lid) mix flour, salt and garlic powder.
4. Dip raw broccoli into egg then drop broccoli into flour mix (batter).
6. Continue until all broccoli has been dipped and dropped.
7. Place lid on bowl and shake to cover all broccoli with flour.
8. Sit to the side.
9. Shred Parmesan cheese.
Cook Time: 3-5 minutes
1. Fill a pot to the middle with canola oil.
2. Heat stove to medium high or 7.
3. Once heated tap excess flour off of each piece of broccoli and drop into hot oil.
4. Allow to cook until coating is golden brown. This should only take about 3-5 minutes.
5. Remove broccoli from oil and drain excess oil with a paper towel.
6. Transport to serving dish and sprinkle Parmesan cheese (as much or as little as you would like) over broccoli.
It’s now time to enjoy this yummy side with a steak, chicken, turkey or pork. It can be enjoyed with a veggie only meal as well. This same technique can be used on other vegetables as well.
Today is my boyfriend’s birthday, after the gift festivities, I chose to pair these scrumptious bites with steak and potatoes.